Christian Liberal Arts College
So many homeschoolers are looking for homeschool friendly liberal arts colleges with a Christian worldview but aren’t sure where to find one. Today we are delighted to introduce you to Spartanburg Methodist College.
Disclosure: I was compensated for my time for this post. All opinions are my own. As always, we only share information we believe is beneficial to you, our friends and readers.
Spartanburg Methodist College is is a private, two-year residential college located in Spartanburg, South Carolina. One of the only colleges of its kind, SMC offers a liberal arts education exclusively for freshmen and sophomore students in a Christian-centered environment open to students of all religious and nonreligious backgrounds. The college serves 800 students in a small, supportive community focused on helping students successfully transition from high school to college.
Don’t miss the Fall Open House on October 21st! You can register to attend here. You can also get an application fee waiver for students who use the code homeschool.
Homeschoolers and College
We all know that college is expensive and for many homeschool families, earning an associate degree first is the best way to work toward a 4 year degree.
Students who attend SMC for two years and complete all requirements earn an Associate Degree. This degree can be valuable for students who plan to complete a four-year degree because it shows employers and college admissions offices that the student is capable of college-level work. All SMC Associate Degrees are designed to transfer easily to other colleges and universities. Most SMC transfer students enter other colleges as juniors.
To learn more about all the degree programs offered at Spartanburg Methodist College visit this page.
What do SMC students who were homeschooled think?
- Small, supportive campus environment. Home school students thrive in our small classes and enjoy personal attention from professors who are invested in helping them succeed. At large colleges and universities, students take general education classes with hundreds of others in large lecture halls. That doesn’t happen at SMC.
- Professors serve as student academic advisors. Your child will work directly with a professor to plan their courses and ensure they are on track to meet their goals. They won’t be left on their own to sink or swim. The first two years of college courses will allow your student to explore their interests and then identify the right college to finish their degree.
- Transfer assistance to colleges and universities. 1/3 of all college students transfer to another institution before graduating. Most colleges don’t help their students leave to attend another school. SMC is different: because almost all SMC students transfer after two years, our faculty and staff are focused on assisting your student with transferring to the right college to complete their degree.
- Earn a degree in two years. We know that home school students are typically better prepared for college than their peers; however, sometimes life gets in the way of their studies. SMC students who stay for two years and meet the requirements will earn an associate degree. If a financial, emotional or family crisis puts your child’s education on hold, they will still have a college degree to fall back on. A recent employment study showed that workers with associate degrees earned as much as $500,000 more over the course of their career than workers with only a high school diploma.
- A Christian-centered education. SMC is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, but we welcome students from all religious and non-religious backgrounds. Chapel services are held weekly (but are not required) and there are a variety of religious activities, clubs and organizations that will help your student stay close to or grow in their faith while at SMC.