I write often about motherhood. How sometimes it feels invisible. How difficult it can be being an allergy mom. How much struggle and triumph is hidden in the heart-scars of parenting special needs/twice exceptional children. And now we are journeying through The Lifegiving Home book together to help each other remember to cultivate beauty and security and hospitality for these precious lives we have been given to steward. In the midst of all that, dear mamas, we sometimes forget to care for our own hearts and to nurture our own creative spirits.
Alicia has created a marvelous 4 week long art course (you can take it at your own pace!) that comes out May 2nd. A mixed media course for women that is meant to inspire creativity and to help us connect with our Creator through the wonders of art. You Are A Masterpiece is the perfect addition to your mother culture time!
You Are A Masterpiece – Alicia’s Explanation
Just like life, mixed media art is messy.
In order to make a beautiful piece of art, you have to get your hands, your workspace, sometimes your clothes – and often in my case, my face and/or hair – messy with paint, decoupage, inks, and more. But when you’re finished, the result is a beautiful masterpiece.
Ephesians 2:10 (NLT) says,
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus,
so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
You are God’s masterpiece. You are His finest, most beautiful work of art. He created you in His image. He created you perfect.
Yet sometimes, okay, most of the time, we take His perfection and make a big mess out of ourselves and our lives. We humans in our fallen state are messy. We are imperfect. Therefore, we desperately need the Ultimate Artist to take the scraps, the ephemera, the torn pieces of our hearts and lives, and make them into a beautiful work of art.
Most children and teens have no problem expressing themselves in creative ways. It’s only as we grow older, that we put away our creativity to become more “practical.” Sigh. I still have a couple more art courses that I want to do for kids, but my primary ministry is to women.
There are far too many women who:
- spend all their time caring for their family and homes, yet never take time for themselves to play
- are in desperate need of a creative outlet of their own
- need to learn to stop and enjoy the simple pleasures of making something with their own hands
Furthermore, other women:
- don’t know what to do with their lives, don’t know why they were created, and don’t know how to find out
- are depressed, because they believe they have messed up their lives and are of no further use to the Lord
- are hurting because they feel like they’re of no value whatsoever
My heart with this workshop is to help answer each of these needs.
You Are A Masterpiece will begin on Monday, May 2nd.
- The course is password protected online and you can go at your own pace.
- 20 different art projects and the mediums explored are sketching, watercolors, acrylic painting, collage art, chalkboard art, sculpting, hand lettering, and more.
- One time class purchase get you lifetime access to the class!
- There is also a Facebook group you can join to share and support other women artists, a weekly Bible devotion, weekly prompts and assignments, extra videos and music, printable images, and links to Alicia’s favorite art supplies!
- This course could also be used for older teen girls, but is primarily geared toward women. Alicia has several other mixed media courses that are great for kids and teens.