There is nothing quite as wonderful as the smell of freshly baked muffins spiced with cinnamon wafting through the air when you wake up on Christmas morning. At least if you’re a child.
As the adult doing the baking, I prefer the smell of coffee first. Then the smell of delectable morsels accompanied by the galloping of two (always) hungry and excited boys into the kitchen and Christmas chaos.
These wonderful muffins are a treat and simple to make. Your littlest chefs can help prepare and then devour these sweet but healthy breakfast muffins in almost no time. There is also no need to relegate these to just Christmas time. They freeze and reheat beautifully, so they make wonderful breakfast treats you can make in batches. Batch cooking is a fantastic lesson in fractions and meal planning if you are wondering how to make that into a lesson 😉
The key to these muffins is the perfect spice. We are delighted to introduce you to RawSpiceBar, a wonderful company out of San Francisco that grinds and blends spices weekly to ship them fresh to your door.
Disclosure: We received complimentary spices from RawSpiceBar to try out and report the results back to you. As always, we only recommend products we love and think you will, too.
With subscription options and single spices, your dishes can explode with the flavor that only comes from freshly ground spices without having to hunt down a gourmet grocery and go there weekly. Everyone wins! Plus you can try new spices and dishes and ask the lovely folks at RawSpiceBar for help whenever you get stuck.
Without further adieu, here is Chef Teddy (and his elvish assistant) to show you how to put together our favorite paleo apple muffins!
Don’t forget to grab our complimentary Kids in the Kitchen Recipe binder for your chefs!
Christmas Morning Apple Muffins – Cooking with Chef Teddy
- 2 cups of Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons of Grains of Paradise Apple Pie Spice Blend (you can use apple pie spice from the store, but we recommend at least giving RawSpiceBar’s delicious blend a try!)
- a pinch of Sea Salt
- ½ cup of unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon of organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup of melted Coconut Oil or Ghee
- 1 large apple peeled, cored and diced small
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, baking soda, apple pie spice blend, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender add the eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, lemon juice, maple syrup, and melted ghee. Blend well until everything is well combined.
- Add the blended wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix it. Over mixing will result in tough muffins.
- Add the diced apples and gently fold it in.
- Line the muffin tin with paper liners and fill the batter up to ¾ cup.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then let it finish cooling on a wire rack.
- These muffins freeze very well. Just zap in the microwave for a minute and you a have a delicious breakfast on the go.
- Dice your apples ahead of time and let them rest in lemon water to prevent browning.
Leave a Reply